Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by... I hope you stay for a few minutes. Grab a cup of whatever gives you comfort and soak in my thoughts on paper (screen, I suppose.) Really, I hope these words will enlighten, inspire and if nothing else, make you stop and ponder... or just laugh and hit the back arrow on your browser. Enjoy.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Parents- what your kids can teach you about being serious.

I really hope you recognize the movie line here.... or what a pathetic title I gave to this entry!

"Can you fly this plane...and land it?"
"Surely you can't be serious."
"I AM serious...and don't call me Shirley!"                  -Airplane!


Well...here's what got me thinking today.  We are too serious.  All the time.

Really.

I told my husband the weekend that I was tired of being so serious as a mom and a wife.  While I was enjoying a week away from the children with my husband earlier this month, I reflected on how much I laughed and joked during that time.

What changed?  What happened?

It's as if there is some magical transformation that took place in my body as our plane descended below 10,000 feet on the return flight to home.  Gone was the carefree attitude.... the joking....the unleashed bouts of giggles and the very thought of playing a practical prank.

It was quickly replaced with seriousness.

It's as if I picked up my pathetically heavy suitcase off the baggage carousel and sternness, to-do lists, nagging and seriousness had snuck inside the zippered compartments...all too eager to be loaded into my car and even worse, into my heart.

What was THAT about?

Oh....I can answer my own question, for sure.  The "MOM" in me would be quick to defend seriousness.   The "MOM" in me would have a list of 100 reasons why seriousness is important.  First and foremost, "MOM" would explain that seriousness is an synonym for "responsibility."  You see... no one else is going to get our children to 17 different engagements within the next 5 days, help kids with the ever-increasing load of homework, monitor their music lessons, listen to 20 minutes of them "just right" reading books, find  a costume for a school performance, procure, prepare and serve nutritious meals that do not contain trans fats, food dyes or pesticides, ensure their laundry is cleaned, teach them to tie their shoes, ensure they write their thank you notes from the totally off-the-chart-keep-up-with-the-joneses-birthday-party and remember to floss their teeth.

(Breath.)

But wait..that's one sided.  I haven't thought about being a "WIFE" in this whole contemplation. Even while I have the fresh memories of "life before kids" and a carefree attitude from my recent vacation... I have to snap out of it, don't I?  There are bills to pay, weeds to pull, favorite meals to be prepared, dry-cleaning to be dropped off and picked up.  I need to remember to buy stamps for those thank you notes!  Sheets must be changed, socializing scheduled and babysitters booked.  And lets not forget... some showers to be taken, legs to be shaved and teeth to be brushed because lets face it... a little primping wouldn't hurt at this point!

(Deep breath.)

What a downer...the thought of it all?  It's crushing to the soul to read the list of responsibilities (most self-inflicted, by the way) and realize that it turns us from care-free women to fire-drill sergeants.... rattling off the next command to not only ourselves...but everyone around us!

I think the solution lies within our grasp.  I believe the "way out" is right under our nose.  It's our children.  Their child-like faith.  Their carefree spirits.... even though they have responsibilities...every other "non-working" moment is filled with laughter, jokes, silliness and play.  While the "MOM" and "WIFE" in me struggle with this idea of becoming more like our children (after all who has time for silliness when you are this busy?) I think its one of those leaps of faith we must make.

Heck, there are even songs for this... "For every season.....turn, turn, turn...."  Maybe a season can be broken down into 30 minute segments.  Let's focus on getting our immediate responsibilities done and then lets relax.... tickle our children... make chocolate milk (or a carob soy beverage,) drink through the crazy straw and stare at the clouds looking for shapes.

But I believe we have to practice this "non-seriousness."  I think for many, it's a lost art.  We have equated it with irresponsible, laziness and other negative connotations.  We have to embrace it like an old friend...get to  know it all over again and then make a commitment to get together with "relaxed" more often.

I bet those who call me "mom" will be positively impacted.  I bet he who calls me "wife" will appreciate it.  Science says I will live longer.  But the selfish person inside of me is most excited that I get to have more fun... smile.... breathe... and drink through a crazy straw.

Tell me..what is your favorite way to shed "seriousness?"  Take a moment to share!

No comments: